THE BATTERY by RYAN WINFORD
THE BATTERY (2012)
The Motion Picture Score by Ryan Winford
Directed by Jeremy Gardner
ABOUT THE FILM:
Ben (Jeremy Gardner) and Mickey (Adam Cronheim) are two former baseball players traveling through the rural back roads of Connecticut to avoid the hordes of the undead that now inhabit the major cities. While Ben seems to embrace the new lifestyle, Mickey's having problems adapting to the constant horrors and dangerous living conditions on the road. Although they heavily rely on each other for survival, they are slowly starting to drive each other crazy. When they overhear a transmission of two other survivors talking about a protected community, they go searching for it, despite being told that they are not welcome.
The Battery was filmed in just 15 days on a budget of $6,000. The film went on to win awards at many film festivals all over the world, including winning audience awards at several of these events. It was even nominated for a Fangoria Chainsaw Award for Best Limited Release / Direct-to-Video Film in 2015. Scream Factory released a blu-ray of the film to its extensive horror film library in 2014.
ABOUT THE COMPOSER:
Ryan Winford is a multi-instrumentalist, singer, songwriter, and composer from Orlando, Florida that has been performing for over 20 years. He has a unique acoustic driven style of writing that seamlessly blends multiple genres, including alternative, rock, pop, and folk. He has also composed music for Fingers, Tex Montana Will Survive!, and The Bags.
All these talents are front and center in the tour de force rustic and folk-tinged score that Winford wrote for The Battery. The score is scary and sweet, at the same time, guiding our bickering ballplayers across this truly beautiful countryside, while building dread of what they may encounter around every corner. Calling to mind Gustavo Santaoalla’s work in The Last of Us in 2013, Ryan ferociously scores this film like no other zombie film before or after it. The music carries the film and is a truly unique listening experience.
Ryan Winford won a special award for Best Music at the Toronto After Dark Film Festival in 2013 for his work on the film.
THE BATTERY ORIGINAL MOTION PICTURE SCORE VINYL FEATURES:
- Available for the First Time on any Format
- Pressed on 140 Gram Green & Yellow Ghostly Vinyl
- Limited to 400 Copies
- Exclusive New Liner Notes by Director Jeremy Gardner
- Art by Greg Bunbury and Brad Mrock
- 11 X 11 Printed Insert with Liner Notes and Credits
- The first 75 copies include a limited edition compact disc of the extended score that includes 29 total tracks of extended cues and a never before released track called “Lost Humanity.” The disc features new artwork by Brad Mrock capturing Mickey’s favorite disc in the film called “Laura’s Mix”
- Also available on cassette for the first time
- Given a 4.5 out of 5 in the July/August 2023 issue of Rue Morgue Magazine